Leadership Institute for Academic Library Managers
FAQ for Siena Leadership Institute for Academic Library Managers
Academic library leaders or those aspiring to leadership positions. Some management experience is preferred but not required. The program is designed to help participants develop their skill set so that they can position themselves to move up the ladder to a more challenging and higher pay position in management and administration at a college or university library
2. Why should I attend this Siena Leadership Institute for Academic Library Managers
· Gain valuable skills and concept to become a better manager
· Meet other academic librarians who are interested in basic and advanced management topics
· Differentiate me from others who would be applying for upper level academic library management positions in the future
3. What is the intended purpose of the institute
· To provide academic library managers with advanced instruction in management topics relevant to today’s libraries
· To prepare academic librarians to become highly skilled and successful managers in a college or university library
4. What topics will be covered?
· Interpersonal skills to be a better manager
· Leading organizational change
· Effective decision-making
· Effective planning and implementation strategies
· Coping with conflict resolution
· Encouraging employees to reach high performance
· Other topics of interest to the students in the institute as identified in the first session
5. Who will be the instructors?
Business professors from the Siena College Institute for Leadership Development who regularly teach management topics. Short biographies of the facilitators are posted on the web page for the event.
6. What is to ensure that this institute offers coursework that is related to academic libraries?
Gary Thompson, Director of Siena’s Standish Library, who has 44 years of academic library experience is the Co-Director of the Institute and is advising the Institute Director and his staff on the readings and course materials to be used in the institute.
7. Where will it be held?
The classes will be held on the campus of Siena College in Loudonville, New York, easily accessible from the New York State Thruway from all directions and a short cab ride from the Albany/Rensselaer Amtrak station. Transportation will be provided from the train station.
8. What is the cost of attendance?
The cost of attendance is $1100 per librarian, with an additional 10% discount for librarians from NYSHEI institutions.
9. Is housing provided?
Yes, housing in the newest air-conditioned residence hall with private bathrooms on the Siena College campus is available at a very reasonable price. The total cost per night is just $63.
10. How do I register?
Just complete the form (registration deadline June 15, 2014) on the brochure and mail it to:
11. What’s included in the registration?
· 5 full days of instruction
· All books and related reading material
· An opening reception on Sunday.
· Breakfast and lunch each day
· A certificate of completion